Sunday, February 13, 2011

Beach Part 2 / Soup

Got back from the beach in the afternoon. From where I left off, we drove north to Seaside and stopped at a diner to get some breakfast - I got strawberry blintz, and couldn't finish it, it was sooo sweet. We went on up to Ft. Stevens, and drove around there for a while. We stopped at the old battery and wandered around briefly. On our way up, we were met by a Jehovah's Witness trying to give us Watchtowers. It was cold there so we didn't stay out for very long, but Phoenix liked the acoustics of singing in the bunker. We also drove over to the beach and watched the sand get blown over a dune - it was swirling in the strong wind, very pretty to look at. We continued north over the bridge out of Astoria, to make out 2-part trek along 101 complete. I didn't want to go over the bridge, it's really high and scares me some, but we did. We went up as far as Long Beach, where we stopped to get some candy - I got a bag of salt-water taffy and he got a bag of Jelly Belly beans. We went back down into Oregon, and drove towards home along highway 30. We stopped briefly at Papa's house, just a short visit for hugs and gossip. We got back home and promptly crashed to sleep.

Tonight, I'm making my red beef stew, the one with the V8 base. I had to ride my bike over to Fred's to get the ingredients, then I realised I'd forgot something so I went up to Safeway (which is closer and still open between 11 and 12). It's been on the stove for about 2 hours, and the meat is finally softening up - it's still a little chewy, but only a little by now. Now I'm looking forward to eating it and sharing the meal with Phoenix.

No comments:

Post a Comment